Monday, June 16, 2008

The Prodigal Deer Returns!!

At our annual high school retreat the theme was "Wanted Dead or Alive: The Return of the Prodigal" from Luke 15:11-32. The evening when I taught on the Father who saw his son from a long way off , I explained how the Father was watching with anticipation for His son to return. (keep reading, this isn't a preachy post)

I identified with this aspect of the story with a story about my backyard. One glorious morning I was eating my Cocoa Puffs, when I looked out the window over our shined sink and saw something that got my heart pounding with excitement. I saw a deer! How fun to see a deer in our subdivision. Enjoying a perk of living in the country, yet hunkered down in suburbia & a 6' privact fence made the sight of my white tailed friend so fun!

I explained that ever since I saw Bambi run off into the wild I have longingly looked through that same window in hopes of spotting another just as I assume the Father watched ever hopeful for his son to walk down the road.

Then this morning while the boys were splashing their milk all over the table instead of eating....I saw something....I wanted to share what we witnessed with you...

This sweet looking doe was looking at me and wondering what my next move was...I bet it was a funny sight seeing me standing on the fence snapping pics.

This buck mooned me, but I didn't take offense to it, kids will be kids and mine pee in the church flower bed when we are not looking.Ahhh. The happy couple. Don't you hate when people look just to the left or right of your eyes, it's freaky. But these two were beautiful.

Trifecta. Yep that's right!! Three deer interrupted our meal and brought me to my feet, my boys into my arms as I held them to see out the window and enjoy & my beloved away from the mirror where she was enhancing her already gorgeous face. As a family we feasted on the wondrous view of a family of three deer frolicking along the drainage ditch that almost flooded our house the other night.

After we ooooed and ahhhhhhhed, I jumped the fence to snap the photos for you. I am waiting on an agent that is familiar with the Discovery Channel in case they want to try and lure me away from ministry in order to photo the wild full time. It would have to be big bucks (no pun)or a spot on Deadliest Catch.

Just as the watchful Father welcomed his son back, we rolled out the green carpet to our friends. After all, our house probably sits on their old stomping grounds.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Ahhhh ... how sweet. Good thing there's such a demand for photographers of wild life in our neck of the woods:)

Little Oak Table said...

Great post babe! Luke is reading with me, and he just told me he wants to see more reindeer. You are funny dude! I gotta go, Luke is asking me if it is tartoon (cartoon) day. No dude, today is still TUESDAY...:). Now Jack Jack is crying...will he ever get a full nap? I think not :(...

We are having frito chili pie if you want to come home for lunch. I also have chicken marinating for dinner-it's gonna be good :)! Especially since you are cooking :)..you are cooking right?