Monday, June 16, 2008

No Officer I don't know Why You Pulled Me Over

I have had the privilege of speaking with Arkansas's finest twice in my 18 years of being a Razorback. The first was on my way to baseball practice while in High School. I was going 38 in a 20 residentual school zone and tried to get around a corner before the policeman could get to me....Didn't work.

The second time was on my way to work at 2:00 AM in a part of Little Rock that the only way I would have pulled over was if the police were there. Unfortunately it seemed to him that I had invited the event to happen. He checked to make sure my temporary tags hadn't expired and then let me go.
Neither time did I experience what I did about 9 days ago in Tulsa. As I was only half a mile away from the place we rented a 15 passenger van, I heard a beeping sound behind me. I figured it was Drew, my high schooler who had come to drive my car from the airport where I keep it while I have the van. I quickly realized that unless Drew had brought some blue flashing lights with him that went unnoticed, I was in trouble.

I pulled over into a church parking lot, rolled down my window & turned off the van. The officer quickly made it clear to me that I had made an illegal turn on the only road I had to turn on. As I reached for my license and insurance, I appologized and explained I was focused on not getting lost....He was unimpressed.

He looked at my driver's license and immediately entered into a conversation that went like this: --"Sir, do you have any guns on you?"
-"Uh, no sir." (unless you would include these in that category **kisses bicepts**)
--"Any weapons on you at all?"
-"Nope"
--"Then you won't mind if I check?!!"
-"Of course not....but I am not sure what to do. You want me to stay here or..."
--"Step out of the van please."

So I get out of the van and he quickly puts his hand on my shoulder and pushes me to the van. As I stand there with my back to the cop and hands up, he pulls my shirt up (why is he pulling me over again?). After my bottom gets a few pats and my pockets get peeked in, he instructs me to follow him to the back of the van.


I am about to tell him that there might be someone behind the van that is with me, when we see Drew (my size and a football player) waltzing up to us about 25 feet away. The officer did a drop step, put his hand over his gun & said, "Can I help you sir?!!!" I leaned over and identified Drew as one of my high schoolers that is helping me. "I need you to wait back at your car please sir!!" Drew consented.

"Do you know why I am asking about weapons?"
"I really have NO idea officer."
"Your last name is W........"
"Has been all my life (ok so I really didn't say this)
"Yes sir, it is"
"W............'s are the largest dealers of guns and ammunition in the Tulsa area!"
"Well I am not one of them."

I was being frisked because of my last name!! Someone else actually has it! I wonder if they had to come up with 4 letter names for their kids.......ooops, sorry, back to the story.

"Where are you coming from and where are you going?"
Finally the God question!!!

"I am coming from Conway, AR returning a van that my church rented to go to Mexico to build 2 houses for poor people. The place is only half a mile from here." Then I stood back in case God wanted to smite him.

"OK, no warning, no ticket, have a great day!" and drove off.

9 comments:

Megan said...

chris had a tough time with tulsa's finest too, and he didn't do anything wrong either. but not nearly as much trouble as the VA police gave him when he went the wrong way on a one way street. they reached for guns and called for backup and everything. yikes!

MS said...

We're serious about crime in Tulsa! We're what you might call a "big city" compared to small time Conway so we can't be loose when it comes to Wannamakers running around our town in white, unmarked vans. And I betcha he did see those two guns you're always carrying around and suspected you were a mean, greasy, troublemaker.

Grr! Go get 'em officer!

Jenny said...

too funny:) you really should get a permit for those guns in case you get pulled over again.

Jennifer said...

Your post was pretty funny all along, but when I got to the "in case God wanted to smite him" part I actually laughed out loud for like a minute.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the heart felt comment on my "Challenge" post.. I hope you don't mind I've updated it to share your experience.

Becke' said...

Good thing he didn't look UNDER the van! Good hiding place, Wanamaker.

Becke' said...

Look at all of the comments you are getting! I am thinking you are a big deal!

Little Oak Table said...

Rollin' in my 5. 0 With my ragtop down so my hair can blow
The girlies on standby, Waving just to say Hi

Did you stop? No - I just drove by Kept on pursuing to the next stop I busted a left and I'm heading to the next block
That block was dead
Yo - so I continued to A1A Beachfront Ave. love you trouble!

Scot said...

Wow. I know someone who grew up in Wanamaker, Indiana and there is another Scott Wanamaker in the St. Louis area, but this story is pretty incredible. We Wanamaker boys just look for trouble with the law!