Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bushwhacked!!

We have wonderful new trees in our yard at the church. I have enjoyed the way they have changed the landscape of our front door appeal and the fresh air that they each bring. But tonight at youth I have discovered a downfall.

We had small groups for our high school guys. We had just over an handfull due to concerts, summer vacation and communication. So we did what guys do...we got a football and went out to the yard to play some football. It was explained to me that I was the reason we could not play tackle football. I happen to be too big (I choose to take that as being such a physical specimen that people would just bounce off me as they attempt to bring me to the ground.....as opposed to being fat)

So during the game, I decided to stretch my legs and "go deep" and sprint for the endzone. I got behind the defence, the ball was launched in my direction & I had had the ball zoned in (heck I even had choreographed my endzone dance). When it happened.....

The church's new logo is a tree that says, "Discover a New Way of Living." During this epic football game, I didn't discover a new way of living, but I did discover a new tree that has been planted in our football field.

In fact, I hit it so hard that it knocked off my feet. Needless to say as I lay on the ground felled by the 8' young tree, each of the guys hit the ground as well........laughing.

My two goals for youth group are bringing the Scriptures into the students lives and showing how it is relevant and applicable. The second goal is to make it fun. Tonight, both were occomplished.

They were laughing and definitely had fun.....and they saw that God's word is in me enough to keep me from cussing when knocked on my booty unexpectantly. Wait until I share this monumental evening with the elders as a praise!!

3 comments:

David said...

Remind me to tell you about the time my attempt to scare a cat out of our yard ended with my running into our fence at full speed. (Glasses were mangled. Ribs were bruised.)

Jenny said...

too funny. wish i had been there:) david's comment is funny, too. i can just imagine.

can't wait for the ddr throwdown!

Little Oak Table said...

oh the funny people in my life!