Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fellowship of Losers

Alright, so I had an idea...I am not sure if it was the brightest, but it will definitely be an interesting experience. This past Sunday morning, January 4th in front of 80+ 5th-12th graders, I weighed in to get a start weight for the new year.

We are starting a new series on Philippians and it will last 17 weeks (through the end of April). I am very excited about the study, but felt inspired by a few sources (Biggest Loser & John and Kate +8) to add a twist.

Over the next 17 weeks, I am going to engage in healthy eating as well as an exercise program with a goal of losing 15% of my weight by the end of 17 weeks. One of my students has agreed to challenge me and attempt to lose a higher percentage (he also weighed in Sunday). The kicker is we will weigh in every Sunday in front of the students...Yikes. Here is what the scale looked like after I weighed....

I will be using "Cardio Max" the new Biggest Loser DVD out now (Wal-Mart $9). All you need is some weights to match your ability (probably between 2-15 lbs) and the willingness to spend 22 minutes per day.

I weighed in at 252 lbs which means I will need to lose 40 lbs in order to achieve my goal. We are changing our eating habits as well and are starting to get organic foods and are trying to ensure a veggie and fruit come with each meal. I am also going on a sugar boycott to see if I can kick the addiction of sweets...if not I may be checking into a facility.

Anyone who desires to come along and work hard for 17 weeks to get some habits established and live healthier...feel free to join me. If it were not for my one student, it would just be fellowship of the loser.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd certainly like to get more fit in 17 weeks--I don't need to lose pounds, but I need the pounds I do have to be more muscle and less fat! Since my goal isn't a number, it makes it kind of hard to chart progress.

Do they have a patch or something for that sugar addiction? :)

Samantha said...

GET IT, SHANE!